Online Training: Positive Employee Relations (PER) and Union Awareness
A highly interactive and engaging online curriculum designed for managers.
This course helps employers tackle the challenge of training large and dispersed populations of supervisors on good management practices, labor law compliance, union awareness and union organizing. PER’s online modular delivery makes successfully educating your managers simple, quick and extremely cost-effective. Training assignments can be automated and are fully trackable with 24/7 online access.
PER Course Goals:
This course provides managers with the fundamental skills and information they need to manage effectively, and to ensure that employees feel respected and heard. PER teaches managers how to create a fair and productive workplace where employees do not feel the need for union representation. We call these Good Management Practices (GMPs).
PER also covers the essentials of labor law compliance, union awareness and union organizing. The course ensures that managers understand both employee and employer rights and obligations under federal labor laws. PER also addresses employer expectations when it comes to communicating about unions and managing during a potential union-organizing campaign. The focus is on positive employee relations.
- High – video & audio
- Medium – still images & audio
- Low – still images & text only
- Host on our robust and scalable LMS
- Host on your own standards-compliant LMS (AICC and SCORM)
Length & Delivery Options
- Standard Version for Managers: 120 minutes (Includes ‘Good Management Practices’ content)
- Basic Version for Managers: 45 minutes (Union organizing and union awareness content only)
- Adjust course length by choosing which vignettes to include
- Vignettes can be seamlessly customized to feature your organization’s branding, policies, rules, and priorities
- Easily remove, replace and add vignettes as they are developed
Course Design & Content
In the familiar context of a television news show, the PER course puts lessons into a vivid, real-world context that will resonate with your managers. Content is highly engaging and communicated through a variety of storytelling mechanisms. Vignettes are presented in full-motion video and include several interactive Q&A exercises. Medium- and low-bandwidth versions are also available. PER includes a total of 7 modular vignettes (~2 hours in total).
The Union Awareness and Union Organizing components of this course (2 vignettes, ~35–40 mins in total) equip managers with the information and skills necessary to create and sustain a workplace where employees don’t feel the need to seek out third-party representation. Specific topics covered in these 2 vignettes include:
- Respecting employees’ rights and following the law as well as employer policies
- The root causes of organizing
- Benefits of remaining union free
- Realities of managing a unionized workplace
- Critical manager actions and manager roles
- The importance of good communication
- How to talk with employees about unions (including TIPS and FOE)
- How unions organize workers
- Common signs of organizing activity
- How to respond to signs of organizing
- Important potential legislative developments post-EFCA (or other legislation)
Poor management practices, lax communication, inconsistent or unfair treatment and discrimination are among the most common reasons that employees seek out third-party representation. Developed in close partnership with Littler’s top labor and employment law experts, the PER’s Good Management Practices vignettes cover the topics that are critical to creating a fair and productive workplace. Subjects include:
- EEO Basics
- Hiring and Interviewing Lawfully
- Performance Management & Discipline
- Employee Complaint Management
- Terminating Lawfully
About NAVEX Global, Inc.
NAVEX Global’s comprehensive suite of ethics and compliance software, content and services helps organizations protect their people, reputation and bottom line. Trusted by 95 of the FORTUNE 100 and more than 12,500 clients, our solutions are informed by the largest ethics and compliance community in the world.